Thursday, April 1, 2010

Language Smarts Level C - A Review



Product: Language Smarts Level C

Price: $39.99 (with photocopy rights for family/classroom)
Free down-loadable answer guide on site

Company: The Critical Thinking Co.



Where to Purchase: Critical Thinking

Brief Overview:
This book teaches the language arts skills and concepts that a 2nd grader needs to know. It also includes some 3rd grade skills. It can be used as a core curriculum or as a supplement.

In-Depth Look:
I was first introduced to The Critical Thinking Co. a few years ago when I purchased some of their deductive thinking skills workbooks called Mind Benders. I was very impressed with these books and enjoyed working the thinking puzzles right along with my children. I think logic and reasoning skills are very important, skills that aren't taught often enough.

But I wasn't aware that the company also sold core curriculum products. They have them for math, science and language arts.

I received one of these products to review for the TOS Crew. It is Language Smarts - Level C for 2nd grade. I have used it for the past 6 weeks with my 8 year old daughter, a 2nd grader.

My daughter has enjoyed using this book. She has progressed through several sections including...

Following Directions: This included tasks such as following the directions of arrows to solve a word, finding the answer by eliminating choices, and writing map directions.

Alphabet: The ABC's are reviewed in a new way. My daughter solved thinking puzzles by following directions such as "The grandfather's letter is made up of both straight lines and curves."

Mnemonics and Palindromes: These were interesting. But what I found even more interesting were the word riddles, like "Trouble Trouble"...which was solved as "Double Trouble". Fun things that make you think.

Vowel and Consonant Types: Digraphs, Blends, etc. These are presented in unique ways using letter wheels, Word Benders, etc.

Syllables: Again, Language Smarts teaches the concepts in unique ways that practice your child's thinking skills. An example would be "The name of the boy's favorite fruit has the most syllables, and Mr. Fox's fruit has the fewest syllables."

The book is super nice quality. Full color, glossy pages. Tons of pictures of animals and peoples, letters and numbers. The book is pleasant to look at and work with.

The context is impressive. Skills and concepts, mixed in with word puzzles and mind benders. My daughter likes using this book. And I am happy to have found it.

To see some samples, go here. To read other Crew Reviews, go here.

Disclaimer: I was asked to review this product as part of the TOS Homeschool Crew. The above is just my opinion. Please remember that opinions may, and do, vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment