Friday, August 3, 2012

Back to Homeschool Blog Hop - Homeschool Co-Ops

Homeschool Co-Ops...to attend or to not attend.  That is the question.  And if you ask a dozen people for their opinion about co-ops, you will get a dozen different answers.  I, personally, am a fan of homeschool co-ops.  Not all are created equal and not all are a good match for my family.  But when I find one that works for us, I feel it is important to be an active member of the group.

For those who did attend, their reasons vary.  Some go to spend time with old friends and to make new friends.  Some go to cover core courses they find difficult to teach at home, such as science labs.  Others go for the opportunity to participate in large group activities, such as choir and drama.  And I'm sure there are many more reasons.

We attend co-op so that our children will have regularly scheduled time with friends.  It is nice to know that once a week they will be able to spend a few hours with kids they enjoy visiting with.  We also attend for the chance to participate in "extracurricular" activities: choir, drama, gym, etc.

We have attended co-ops, in some shape or form, for 8 years.  My daughters look forward to it and enjoy it.  They miss it when it is not in session.  So for now, it works for us.  If for some reason, it become more of a chore for them, than a joy, then we would reconsider.  Since my reason for going is for my daughters' enjoyment.

I also sometimes teach at co-op.  It gives me a chance to teach a class that my girls will enjoy, while making it more exciting for them, because they get to learn along with some friends.  My choices have ranged from the "13 original colonies" to "drama improv".

So what are your thoughts about co-ops?  Wouldn't want to live without them?  Don't want anything to do with them?  Participate every year?  Maybe only every other year?


BacktoHomeschool

1 comment:

  1. We love our co-op! We've participated in two so far now and they have both enriched our homeschool experience.

    ReplyDelete