Friday, January 1, 2010

Jean Welles Worship Guitar Class - Level One - A Review

Product: Jean Welles Worship Guitar Class - Level One

Price: $29.95 (DVD & Book)
1 year 100% Guarantee

Company: Jean Welles Worship Guitar

Where to purchase: www.worshipguitarclass.com

Brief Overview:

Jean Welles offers a DVD/book combo guitar class that you can use in your own home. She offers 4 levels for ages 10 to adult. She also offers a kids' worship class for ages 5 to 9. You can view the first lesson of some of the programs here for free. You can also download the music. There is also a newsletter filled with playing tips.

In-Depth Look:

The lessons are designed for ages 10 and up. It has been used by over 100,000 people, including Jean Welles' own students. Ms. Welles considers teaching the guitar a wonderful gift from God.

The lessons are available on DVD (English and Spanish combined). Volumes 1, 2 and 3 are available in VHS format also. English and Spanish formats of the VHS are available. If you purchase all 4 DVDs you will learn 28 songs, 50+chords and 20+ strumming/finger-picking patterns.

I received and reviewed the Volume One Book and DVD for the Jean Welles Worship Guitar Class. No previous experience is required. By the end of the 7 lessons, you will play 7 worship songs, learn 10 chords, and 6 strumming and finger-picking patterns.

Songs:
1. He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
2. My All in All
3. More Precious than Silver
4. Take My Life
5. Lord, I Lift Your Name on High (One of my personal favorite songs)
6. This is the Day
7. I Love You, Lord

Chords:
1. A
2. E7
3. D
4. G
5. C
6. Dsus
7. Em
8. Am
9. A7
10. D9/F#

Strumming/Finger Picking Techniques
1. Straight Strum
2. Thumb Strum
3. Down..Up,Down,Up,Down,Up
4. Thumb Pluck
5. TimiTimi
6. TiaiTiai

The package includes a DVD and a booklet for $24.95. Or you can purchase the DVD, booklet and full-size book for $29.95. I recommend the 2nd package as I found the full-size book to be more user friendly.

I took a few months of guitar lessons as a young child. And I have picked at it here and there over the years, starting from scratch every time...since I'd forgotten all that I'd learned by that time. So I would consider myself a beginner guitar player. Since the guitar is of interest to me, I was curious to try out this program.

The DVD starts out with some basics:
1. The parts of the guitar
2. Tuning the guitar
3. Holding the guitar
4. Reading the chord charts

The DVD is broken into 7 lessons. Each lesson is broken into 2 sections. In Part 1, the instructor quickly covers the chords, strumming techniques and a song. Part 2 is a practice lesson. In this section, the instructor slows it down and walks you through it step by step. I appreciate the practice sessions; it gives me a chance to get a better grasp on the new information. I found Ms. Welles demeanor to be pleasant and encouraging. Her love for God and the guitar shine through in the lessons.

The small booklet gives the bare basics. Simple and straight to the point. It includes the lyrics, chords, strum patterns and alternate basses.

I like the full-size book. It gives me the extra details and instruction that I needed to feel that I really could do this. It includes photos and illustrations, making things easier to visualize.

The lessons in the book re-teach everything that Ms. Welles has covered. So you can watch the lesson, stop the DVD and look it all over again in the book, play the practice lesson on the DVD, and then stop it again and practice out of the book until you feel you have mastered the lesson.

The full-size book has the chords, the strumming patterns, the songs, and the alternate basses. It gives several hints and tips, such as having short nails and relaxing your hands. It offers encouragement, such as Bible verses and reminding us to pray before the lesson and play to the glory of God.

At the end of the book, there is a short lesson on a Left-Hand exercise. A video of it is also posted on jeanwelles.com.

If you are looking for a quick fix or the easy way out, this program might not be for you. It is challenging and it takes time and a lot of practice. But if you are looking for a convenient and cost-effective way to learn the guitar, this might be what you are looking for. You get 7 lessons for $30...7 lessons that you can play over and over again. Didn't quite get that chord? Play it again. Don't remember the thumb-strum? Play it again. Is your only free time for lessons at 6am? The DVD is ready and waiting. Can't find a quiet time until 11pm? Ms. Welles is ready to teach you right then.

I have learned several chords and strumming patterns. I have already made a good deal of progress. It is actually fun to sit there and play along with Ms. Welles. It is very encouraging to be playing a "real song" on the very first lesson. I plan to keep right on going with the lessons and am excited at the thought of being able to play all 7 songs fluently.

Disclaimer: I received the guitar lesson DVD/Book Combo free of charge to review, as part of the TOS Crew. The above is just my opinion. Please remember that opinions may, and do, vary.

To see what other crew members had to say, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment